ADOPTION APPROVAL PROCESS
- DPR volunteer reviews application and calls references (typically within 1 week).
- To expedite this process, you may want to give your vet a call and give them permission to speak to us.
- Sometimes, we accept applications for animals who are not quite ready for adoption yet. However, we typically wait to process those applications until the animal is ready for adoption. So, please note the date on the pet’s profile of when they will be ready for adoption. We appreciate your patience.
- Please remember we are all volunteers with full time jobs, families and many pets in our care. We do our very best to process applications in a timely manner.
- DPR volunteer assesses if applicant is a good match for the specified pet.
- If several applications are submitted for same animal, the best match is selected. If there is more than one approved applicant for any one pet, contact will be made based on application date and time.
- Applicant is contacted to set up a mutually agreeable time to meet the pet at the foster family’s home.
- A home visit may be scheduled in certain circumstances.
- DPR Director has final approval of adoption. It may be given at the time of meeting the pet or within 24 hours after the meeting. If it is decided that applicant and pet are not a good match, DPR may suggest other pets that might be a better match.
- DPR has the right to refuse any adoption we do not feel is in the best interest of the animal.
- At the time of adoption, you will need to bring:
- The adoption fee (cash or check)
- A crate if you are adopting a cat
- A collar/leash or a crate if you are adopting a dog
- At the time of adoption, we will review and sign the adoption contract together. You will receive all medical records for the animal and some of the current food the animal is eating.
- If you have any questions or concerns after adoption, please do not hesitate to contact us. We also enjoy receiving updates and pictures of the animals in their new homes!